28.11.08

Isn't the Cross sufficient?

You know ... I keep coming across stories of youth suicide ...

It's really getting to me. Some of these folk, you might expect it from. Their lives are full immorality and all kinds of junk that are sure to be the downfall of a man. But others, are professing Christians. That shouldn't be happening.

For instance, I recently read of a lad who committed suicide after being exposed to some atheistic propoganda, which some claim apparently hurt his faith enough to cause him to take his life. For sake of his integrity I do not want to link to the article.

Yet I researched the lad's name online, and though I found him to have a lot of political discernment, with concern on the standard Christian issues -- marriage, abortion and the like -- a truly intelligent young man -- I found his approach, largely appealing to the intelligence, and lacking in appeal to all things spiritual. As though he believed in God because he could prove God, and when someone with more years under his belt came along and outwitted him to disprove God, his foundation for faith crumbled.

This is why I must take such a careful approach to how apologetics are used. For to found a faith entirely on evidence is to be carnal, and to found it purely on presupposal is potential fantasy (you can presuppose anything!) Yet the stuff of true faith is, beyond both of these, supernatural. I cannot tell you completely what causes me to believe. It is not because I ignorantly choose to nor because I have been convinced by my eyes. I truly believe that my belief is a work of God.

I looked at this lad's life through tidbits he left in his wake (online,) and he spoke of heartache and drunkenness and though I am in no position to question his salvation, I certainly think that it wasn't any loss of faith alone that contributed to his eventual downfall. I know firsthand how emotions can play on one's desire to live. Heartache doesn't contribute to one's desire to live, and alcohol doesn't help either. Now, I think people make mistakes. I even believe it is possible for one of God's elect to be so overwhelmed that he might make a poor decision in a moment and take his life. Again, I do not claim to know who is saved. I can only look at the fruit.

I wonder -- If the assurance of salvation is in the fruit of the Holy Spirit, to be barren of that fruit, and uncertain of salvation, would no doubt also hurt ones assurance that there is a God. After all, one of the greatest evidences of Christianity is in changed lives; (I am speaking of the true church.) But to suggest that such a loss of faith is the result of a loss of external, scientific evidence is unfortunate. Because, again, in a debate a person needs not to suggest more truth -- only be a more influencial speaker. For instance, I heard it recently mused, "how can so many intelligent people follow Obama?" ... And for that reason. He is an influencial speaker. Hitler was an influencial speaker. He was not correct.

Yet Paul says this:
"For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power." - 1 Cor. 1:17

The gospel defends itself. The message of the cross in itself is mighty to save. How convincingly must we have it presented? Is there preached any other thing to draw men than Christ on the cross alone?

Friends, how can we have a Christianity if we are concerned about all of the aspects of Christianity -- all of the studies, the philosophies, the theologies, the apologetics, the political issues, if our own eyes and hearts are centered anything other than the cross itself? The wrath of God was poured out on Christ instead of us, on our behalf, that every person who believes might have fellowship with God eternally! This is the message that saves. Have we lost our focus?

There is nothing more humbling, and yet encouraging, to make us want to submit to God and yet live on for Him, than to remember His work. No political science or worldly relationship or other thing can take the place of the power of the cross. If we find ourselves unsatisfied with life, as though God has not "done enough" or as though the world is somehow too overwhelming with all of its temptations and earthly wisdom and its sin, can it be because our eyes are not upon that cross? Are we not a vapour, and yet God saw us important enough to sustain us? Then what fear in this world can we have!

My heart breaks for the discouraged, for those who somehow see it fit to end their lives, because it is as though we are still seeking the things of the world to give us satisfaction, (if not in our flesh, then in our minds and in our hearts) Yet with all of these things have we been commanded to love God!

We have parts of the body for the reason. We have those to run our discernment ministries and those to give us our defenses and those to guide us in political matters. We have the eyes and the hands and the lips and all of this works together. Yet what are any of these, if they are not guided by the head that is Christ, focused foremost on Him and His work, that there may be something to unite us?

I believe that there is something great happening. I know that God is calling many young men and women back to the truth. I say this not as a general statement but as something possibly unprecidented. And I wonder what God is preparing us for, and I wonder what great opposition we will face?

Were we ever called to lower our defense? Ought we not be prepared in all things and at all times? Not focusing on our worldly drama and our own shortcomings and doubts ... Is the cross not sufficient?

No comments: